Once you have the medical certificate of cause of death an appointment needs to be made with the registrar for the area in which the relative has died. Formal registration of the death must occur within 5 working days.
Telephone: 0300 123 6705
Chorley Registry Office Devonshire House, Devonshire Road, Chorley, PR7 2BY
Preston Registry Office Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 8SE
What you should take with you:
- The medical certificate which shows the cause of death
- The person’s medical card, if available
- The person’s birth certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate if available.
You should tell the registrar:
- The person’s date and place of death
- The person’s usual address
- The person’s date and place of birth
- The person’s occupation and occupation of spouse
- If the person was in receipt of a pension or benefits from the government
- The date of birth of the surviving spouse
At the registrars you will be given a green certificate for burial or cremation, which is needed by the funeral director to conduct the funeral.